Global Family Law Attorney
Relocation Navigating the Challenges in Your Life & Getting You the Resolution You Need

Orlando Relocation Attorney

Get Advice from a Board Certified Specialist in Marital & Family Law

In today’s increasingly mobile society, moving is often a necessity for new employment or a new relationship. However, Florida law restricts the ability of parents to move a child away from the other parent. While it is positive that Florida seeks to ensure that both parents are active in a child’s life, restrictions on moving can act as a hardship to a parent in being able to improve employment opportunities or form a new stable relationship. If you need to move, or if during your case you anticipate needing to move in the future, it is wise to discuss your situation with a family law attorney. At Ilvento Law, P.A., our Orlando relocation lawyer is a Florida Bar Marital and Family Law Specialist, which denotes the highest level of training, knowledge, and skill attainable. We bring family law expertise with individual focus to your unique situation and needs.

Connect with Ilvento Law for legal assistance with relocation at (407) 915-3438.

Florida Laws Regarding Relocation of Children

Florida law restricts a parent from moving more than 50 miles away from his or her current home (or home at the time a final judgment was entered) for a period of more than 60 days without the consent of the other parent or the court. This law became effective in 2008, and applies to both paternity and divorce.

If you want to relocate, you must, before you relocate:

  • File a “Petition to Relocate” with a proposed Parenting Plan.
  • If the other parent agrees with the move and proposed Parenting Plan, you must have the court enter an order which confirms that approval.
  • If the other parent disagrees, the other parent must file a written objection with the court within the 20-day period. The Court will then decide whether or not you may relocate.
  • If you must move for employment by a certain date, you can seek a temporary relocation.
  • Relocation cases are supposed to be heard on a expedited basis.

The judge’s decision will be based on what the court deems is in the best interests of the child based upon specific factors listing in Florida Statutes §61.13001(7). A very important aspect of this decision will be whether the child will be able to maintain a positive and ongoing relationship with the other parent after the move, and whether the parents will be able to afford the transportation costs.

If you are planning to relocate to another country, the same rules apply. Our relocation attorney is adept in handling these more complex cases as well.

Years of Experience Handling Complex Cases

Our firm is dedicated to bringing you effective solutions for your family law matters, including relocation whether within the state, to another state, or to another country. With more than 23 years of experience as an attorney, many in handling complex legal issues, you can rely on our knowledge, skills, and high level of care in helping you navigate the legal process.

Contact our Orlando relocation lawyer at (407) 915-3438 or contact us online to get started today.

Family Law Questions & Answers

View Our Q&A Videos
How Do You File for a Divorce if Your Spouse Has Been Deported?

Providing Our Clients with

Thoughtful Counsel and Caring Support
  • Board Certified Specialist in Marital & Family Law
  • Over 23 Years of Experience Handling Complex Cases
  • We Take a Team Approach With Each Case to Build the Best Strategy Possible
  • We Focus on Each Client as an Individual and Create a Unique Plan to Fit Their Needs