Common Child Custody Violations

Common Child Custody Violations

Common Child Custody Violations


Child custody battles and disputes can be emotionally draining for parents and children alike. When two people decide to get a divorce, the issue of child custody can be one of the toughest decisions they'll ever make. It's a decision that affects the future of the child, and it’s important to ensure that both parents are fulfilling their responsibilities.

Unfortunately, some parents violate court orders and fail to meet their custody obligations, which can have significant consequences and legal repercussions. Whether you're dealing with a co-parent who's not honoring the custody agreement or if you want to know your legal obligations, you need to know the common child custody violations.


1. Denying Custody

One of the most common violations of a custody order is when one parent denies the other's visitation or custody rights. For instance, if the other parent has custody on the weekends, and the custodial parent refuses to let the child go with the other parent, it's a violation of a court order.

It's not uncommon for these incidents to occur, and it's important to understand that these types of violations can be very serious. If a parent refuses to allow visitation, it can affect the child's relationship with the other parent, and it could result in legal intervention.

2. Failure to Pay Child Support

Another significant violation of custody orders is the failure to pay child support. When a non-custodial parent is ordered to pay child support, it's a legal obligation that he/she cannot abandon. Often times, when the non-custodial parent refuses to pay child support, he/she will also refuse to honor other custody agreements.

Failure to pay child support does not only hurt the child financially, but it can also have legal repercussions for the parent. It can lead to court-ordered consequences, including wage garnishments, fines, or even incarceration.

3. Disrespecting Boundaries

Another common violation of a custody order is when a parent disrespects the boundaries set by a court order. For example, if a parent is not to contact the other parent outside the confines of the custody agreement, but continues to do so, it can be seen as a violation of the court order.

It's important to respect boundaries set in a child custody order. A parent risks the possibility of having a judge modify a custody order to impose stricter boundaries or even hold the parent in contempt of court.

4. Neglecting the Child's Well-being

Neglecting a child's well-being is a serious violation of a custody order and can lead to legal intervention. Neglecting the child's well-being can include leaving the child unattended, denying the child necessary medical care, or failing to provide the child with proper food and shelter.

Child neglect leads to consequences; it is a reason for the reevaluation of the custody order that was in place.

5. Leaving the State or Country with the Child

When a court orders a custody agreement, it outlines where the child's legal home is supposed to be. If one parent tries to take the child out of the state or the country without the agreement of the other parent or the court, it can result in legal consequences.

Taking a child across the state or country lines without the other parent's consent can be seen as a violation of the custody order, and it can be considered abduction. The consequences of violating this order can be severe and long-lasting.



In conclusion, once a custody order has been established, it's important that both parents respect the boundaries of the agreement. If either parent violates that order, there could be legal repercussions that could be detrimental to both the child and the parent. In the event of a violation of a custody agreement, it is vital to reach out to an experienced child custody attorney who can help ensure that your rights are protected. Ilvento Law is here to provide legal support and guidance to you. If you are looking for a reputable child custody attorney in Orlando, FL, contact Ilvento Law today.

To Top