Enforcing Child & Spousal Support Orders in Orlando, FL

Enforcing Child & Spousal Support Orders in Orlando, FL

Enforcing Child & Spousal Support Orders in Orlando, FL


Going through a divorce is tough, emotionally and financially. And, even after the divorce is finalized, it is not always easy to collect child and spousal support payments that are ordered by the court. In Orlando, FL, many people struggle with enforcing such orders, and that is where a good lawyer can help. In this blog post, we will discuss the steps you can take to get the support payments owed to you, and what role a lawyer can play in the process.


1. Understand the Court Order

The first step to enforcing child and spousal support orders is to understand what the court has ordered. The order should clearly state the amount and frequency of payments, as well as the consequences of non-payment. If there is any ambiguity in the order, it can be difficult to enforce. Your lawyer can help you review the court order and ensure that all the necessary information is included. Your lawyer can also explain the legal remedies available to you if the payments are not made.

2. Communicate Effectively with the Other Party

If the other party is not making payments as ordered, you should communicate with them about the issue. This can be done through a letter from your lawyer, explaining the importance of complying with the court order. If the non-payment continues, your lawyer can take further legal steps to enforce the order. But, it is always a good idea to try to resolve the issue outside of the courtroom first.

3. File a Motion for Contempt

If the other party continues to ignore the court order, the next step is to file a motion for contempt. This is a legal action that seeks to hold the non-compliant party in contempt of court, which can result in fines, imprisonment, or other penalties. Your lawyer can help you prepare the motion and file it with the court. It is important to note that you cannot take matters into your own hands and withhold visitation or take other actions against the non-compliant party.

4. Seek Wage Garnishment or Liens

If the other party is employed and still not making payments, you can seek wage garnishment, which deducts the support payments directly from the non-compliant party’s paycheck. Your lawyer can help you request the garnishment through the court. In some cases, you may also be able to place a lien on the other party’s property, such as their home or car, to secure payment.

5. Work with a Lawyer

Enforcing child and spousal support orders in Orlando is not always easy, but having a good lawyer on your side can make a big difference. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, from reviewing the court order to filing the necessary paperwork. A lawyer can also represent you in court and advocate for your interests. And, if the other party hires a lawyer, you can be sure that your own lawyer is capable of negotiating and litigating on your behalf.



Enforcing child and spousal support orders in Orlando is a complex process that requires legal knowledge and expertise. If you are facing issues with non-payment, it is important to seek the help of a qualified lawyer who can guide you through the legal process. From understanding the court order to filing a motion for contempt, a lawyer can make a big difference in ensuring that you receive the support payments that are owed to you. Don’t hesitate to contact an alimony attorney in Orlando, FL, like Ilvento Law, if you need help with enforcing child and spousal support orders.

To Top