What Should I Do if My Ex-Spouse Refuses to Pay Alimony?

What Should I Do if My Ex-Spouse Refuses to Pay Alimony?

What Should I Do if My Ex-Spouse Refuses to Pay Alimony?


Divorce is never easy. It comes with numerous legal and emotional battles, one of which is the alimony payment. Alimony, also known as spousal support, is a court-ordered obligation that requires one spouse to pay the other a predetermined amount of money every month to provide financial support after separation. However, sometimes, an ex-spouse may refuse or neglect to pay alimony, which could affect your financial stability. If this is your situation, know that you have legal options to enforce your ex's obligation to pay. This blog will explore what you should do if your ex-spouse refuses to pay alimony.


1. Determine the Cause

The first step is to communicate with your ex-spouse and determine the cause of their refusal to pay alimony. Sometimes, there could be valid reasons such as job loss, illness, or injury, which can affect their ability to make payments. However, if your ex-spouse's refusal is without a valid reason, you can take legal action. Consulting an alimony attorney will help you understand your legal rights and the best course of action.

2. File a Motion for Contempt

A motion for contempt is a legal document filed with the court that requests your ex-spouse to be held in contempt of court for failing to comply with the alimony obligation. This document will outline the amount owed, the missed payments, and the reasons for non-payment. If the court finds your ex-spouse in contempt, they could face penalties such as fines, wage garnishment, or even jail time.

3. Modify the Alimony Agreement

If your ex-spouse insists that they cannot afford to pay the agreed-upon alimony amount, you can request a modification of the alimony agreement. This can be done by filing a motion with the court to modify the existing alimony agreement. If the court accepts your request, the alimony payments may be reduced or terminated.

4. Seek the Help of a Collection Agency

Another option you can consider is to seek the help of a collection agency. Collection agencies have experience in collecting delinquent payments and can recover alimony payments on your behalf. However, it's important to note that this option may come with additional fees, which will be deducted from the recovered amount.

5. Hire an Alimony Attorney

Enforcing alimony payments can be a complicated and stressful process. Therefore, it's important to hire an experienced alimony attorney to guide you through the legal process. An attorney can help you understand your legal rights, offer legal advice on the best course of action, and represent you in court if necessary.



If your ex-spouse refuses to pay alimony, you have legal options to enforce the court-ordered obligation. The process can be complicated and stressful, but with the help of an experienced alimony attorney, you can get the financial support you deserve. At Ilvento Law, we have the knowledge and experience necessary to handle your alimony case. If you're looking for an alimony attorney in Orlando, FL, contact Ilvento Law today for more information.

To Top