What to Do When Your Partner Doesn't Provide Alimony

What to Do When Your Partner Doesn't Provide Alimony

What to Do When Your Partner Doesn't Provide Alimony

Going through a divorce is tough, but the situation can be more complicated when your partner doesn't provide alimony. Alimony, also known as spousal support, is a court-ordered payment made by one partner to support the other after separation or divorce. It's a crucial financial resource for many people after a divorce, and the absence of it can result in significant financial hardship. If you're in this difficult situation, don't worry; there are steps you can take. In this blog, we'll cover what to do when your partner doesn't provide alimony and how to handle the situation.

1. Communicate with Your Ex-Spouse

The first step you can do is to communicate with your ex-spouse. The lack of alimony payment could be a result of a miscommunication or misunderstanding. It's essential to have a face-to-face conversation and try to resolve the issue informally. Try to understand their financial situation and the reason behind the lack of payment. If needed, get a mediator to assist you in this process. Keep track of all communication; it could be useful if the case goes to court.

2. Talk to an Alimony Attorney

If informal communication fails, it's time to talk to an alimony attorney. They can help you understand your legal rights and options to receive alimony. An attorney can also assist you in preparing a legal notice reminding your ex-spouse of their obligation to pay alimony or in filing a motion to seek enforcement of the existing alimony order.

3. Modify the Alimony Agreement

The change in the financial circumstances of your ex-spouse can cause them to be unable to pay alimony. In such cases, the alimony agreement can be modified. A requested modification could either be temporary, permanent or dealt with retroactively. A modification attorney can help you navigate the legal procedures to modify the alimony agreement.

4. Seek Alternative Forms of Income

If your ex-spouse refuses to pay alimony, it's time to look for alternative forms of income. You could consider returning to the workforce, seeking government aid, or refinancing your debts at lower interest rates. An experienced financial planner can assist you in finding alternative forms of income and budgeting your finances.

5. Take Legal Action

If all attempts to recover alimony payment fail, it's time to take legal action. You can file a motion for Contempt of Court with the court, seeking an order that forces your ex-spouse to make alimony payments. During the court proceedings, you'll need to provide evidence of your ex-spouses' ability to pay and their willful refusal to do so.



It's essential to know what to do when your partner fails to provide alimony payments. The steps mentioned in this blog are the starting point to resolving such situations. However, every case is unique and requires professional legal help. If you need an alimony attorney in Orlando, FL, who has experience in dealing with such cases, contact Ilvento Law today. Our experienced lawyers can guide you through the legal process, help you understand your rights, and ensure that you get the support you deserve.

To Top